Google

July 11, 2007

Snitchin': Start or Stop?

I was thinking really hard about whether or not I should write this blog today. The word has many translations....ratting, turning state, droppin' dimes. Now-a-days, it's a "business decision" to not snitch. Well let us conversate a tad on the topic of snitching. Since I enjoy definitions, so everyone is clear on the real meaning of the word, let me break out my handy dictionary for the definition of the word snitch.
Snitch
1. [intransitive verb] Inform on somebody: To tell somebody in authority about another person's wrongdoing.Friends don't snitch on each other. (Real talk that was actually in there!)
2. [noun] Informer: somebody who informs on others.
*All definitions provided by Encarta
So now that we know that we know the definition of snitch. Let's see what "gangsta" rapper Cam'ron has to say about snitching and conversating with the police....
This interview has sparked heated debate over the very popular phrase...
Is it okay to not tell the police, when you see someone commit a crime? I know I have turned the blind eye on a lot of situations. Drug dealing, assault and batteries, stuff of that nature. Was I wrong for not stepping forward and telling the police what I saw or did I just follow the code of the streets? I hate to admit it, but it is hard enough for young people out here to live past the age of 18. More than likely, these young people are latch-key kids. The majority of the education they receive is on the streets and through what they see in everyday life. If someone on the block hears that someone has snitched....

"If niggaz think you snitchin, they ain't tryin listen. They be sittin in your kitchen, waitin to start hittin."
Notorious B.I.G. - "Ten Crack Commandments"
So my question is what would you do if you were in a situation where the information you have could lead to an arrest? Would you snitch or would you turn the blind eye?

Remember....the Queen B herself got 366 days for not snitching....
Busta Rhymes has made headlines for his non-cooperation with the police.... And Shyne is still sitting in jail because he didn't snitch....
So do we.....

or

Lemme know what's good.
2up

No comments: